About Hackney Homes
Our Mission is to deliver excellent, responsive housing services with decent homes and estates, and to help residents lead healthy lives in safe and sustainable communities.
Hackney Council and Hackney Homes
Hackney Council owns around 23,500 rented homes. These are mainly on estates and are a mixture of flats, maisonettes and some houses.
All the homes are managed, on behalf of the Council, by Hackney Homes. Hackney Homes is a separate organisation from the Council although it was set up and is 100% owned by the Council.
Hackney Homes manages your tenancy, provides housing services to you and carries out all repairs to your home. Hackney Council is still your landlord, and still owns the home you live in.
Hackney Council still plays an important role in providing housing in Hackney. It is responsible for making sure there is enough good standard social housing in the Borough whether it is provided by the Council or Housing Associations. Also, five members of the board of Hackney Homes are Hackney Councillors so they play their part in making decisions about how Hackney Homes is run.
What is Hackney Homes?
Hackney Homes was launched in April 2006 following full consultation with tenants. It is a non-profit making company which means that all the money that it receives from rents or grants goes into providing decent homes and services for Hackney Council tenants. It is also an ALMO (this stands for Arms Length Management Organisation). This means that it is not part of the Council but it is owned by the Council.
We have our own Board of Management that makes decisions independently of the Council. The Board is made up of six elected resident representatives, five appointed independent board members and five Councillors nominated by Hackney Council.
The key reasons for setting up Hackney Homes was to have an organisation dedicated to improving the standard of service to Hackney Council tenants. See Decent homes standard.
Our key objectives
- To work in partnership with Hackney Council to improve Hackney Council homes and the physical and social environment.
- To achieve and maintain decent homes and a good environment for all our residents by 2010.
- To work closely with Hackney Council to achieve the Service First objective of delivering all public services in a coordinated and accessible way.
- To achieve excellence in improving housing services.
- To deliver a responsive housing service and achieve high resident satisfaction.
- To create strong, safe and intergrated communities.
- To ensure the needs of vulnerable and hard-to-reach people are met.
- To operate a plan for every estate, to make them safer, cleaner and greener.
- To sustain our finances and achieve good value for money.
By becoming an ALMO, Hackney Homes has the opportunity to receive additional government funding to spend on getting our homes to the government’s Decent Homes Standard by 2010.
This will be achieved through a programme that improves homes both internally (kitchens and bathrooms) and externally.
- We put customers first. We are honest, accountable and open and treat everyone with dignity, fairness and respect.
- We involve and empower residents to improve our services.
- We are efficient and effective, making best use of resources.
- We embrace equality and celebrate diversity.
- We value, develop and empower staff to achieve their potential.
- We work together with Hackney Council and our partners.
- We are positive, responsive and strive to achieve excellence.
- We are a listening, learning and improving organisation.